Social work employer standard 6: Opportunities for CPD
Provide opportunities for continuing professional development and access to research and practice guidance.
Each individual subscriber has access to their own personal CPD log on Inform, allowing them to record their learning from articles they have read on Inform.
The requirements for this standard are summarised below.
View the full details for this standard on the LGA website.
- Provide time, resources and support for CPD.
- Have fair and transparent systems to enable social workers to develop their professional skills and knowledge throughout their careers through an entitlement to formal and informal CPD.
- Provide appropriate support to social workers to progress through the national career structure.
- Have effective induction systems and put in place tailored support programmes for social workers in their first year in practice, including protected development time, a managed workload, tailored supervision and personal development plans.
- Support their social workers to make decisions and pursue actions that are informed by robust and rigorous evidence so that service users can have confidence in the service they receive.
- Enable social workers to work with others engaged in research and practice development activities in universities, professional bodies, and the College Social Work to develop the evidence base for good practice.
- Ensure that practice educators are able to contribute to the learning, support, supervision and assessment of students on qualifying and CPD programmes.
Examples of how Inform can support this standard:
Empowerment to work competently
Guide to change management
Guide to leadership
Guide to on-site/off-site practice educators: A workable model of practice learning?
Guide to promoting reflection in practice: The role of the practice educator
Guide to working with emotion: A practice educator perspective
Fostering a learning and development culture
Guide to organisational development